Embroidered Marigold Jumpsuit

I know that I haven’t written a post about any of my recent makes in quite a long while, to be honest I’ve been so excited about writing the ones about caring for your clothes that they took a bit of a back seat for a while there! But now the pattern reviews are back, and I’m starting off with the Marigold jumpsuit by Tilly and the Buttons… which I’ve already written about (If you’d like to read the first review you can click here after you’ve finished reading this one – you might as well stay on this post seeing as you’re here already) .DSC_0057

I did make quite a lot of changes to the pattern for this version which I thought you might be interested in reading about, and also spent quite a long while adding some embroidery to it, which I thought you might fancy seeing too! I started this jumpsuit way back at the start of August at the Sewing Weekender. I’d seen that the very snazzy Elisalex of By Hand London was running an embroidery workshop, and decided to be SUPER prepared and cut out the front trousers of the pattern to take with me, in the hope of being able to create some show-stopping, high quality embroidery art straight away. In hindsight, this was quite an unrealistic expectation what with me being a bit of an embroidery newbie, but at least I was enthusiastic.

Elisalex taught me some new stitches and helped me out with my rather haphazard approach to the satin stitch, and so my embroidered jumpsuit was a-go. It did take me quite a few weeks to finish my little project, but now that it’s all finished, I’m really pleased! I know that my stitches aren’t perfect and that there’s definitely some room for improvement, but I must say that I’m quite chuffed with this as a first go. As you can tell, I developed quite a penchant for the little droplet flowers (not the technical name) and my design ended up being quite heavily populated with those.

marigold embroidery

As for the rest of the jumpsuit, I made the changes that I noticed were little niggling issues with my last version, like moving in the straps and shortening the bodice. Moving the straps inwards has really helped, and I haven’t had any problem at all with them slipping down at all. I also shortened the bodice a really tiny bit because I found that the way it naturally bags over wasn’t very flattering on me, so changed it so that there wouldm’t be enough excess fabric to hang over the waistband. Other than that, everything was pretty much the same, and I’m super duper pleased! Embroidery is definitely going to be featuring in a lot more of my makes.